Friday, July 22, 2011

Notions about Second Life (Session 10)



Second Life

     The first time I heard about second life was two years ago. I heard  about it from my two nephews who are now 22 years old.  When they told me about that  ,according to them,  “amazing virtual world”  my reaction was rather the one of an skeptical individual.  I just thought of it as a teenage geek  game.  I never imagined at that time that I was going to be living  the second life experience.  Now, here I am trying and rehearsing  how to change my appearance, my outfit , how to sit down, take a picture and even fly.
      Some curious information, well!  I think not so curious I found about second life is that a lot of people see it as a way to open up and and behave the way they would never do in real life. Some guy said “the best part of it is that at the end of the day your actions and choices stay with your second life character, not you”.  This is due to fact that second life can somehow give one the benefit of  anonymity.
     I was a little worried about how to handle this new experience, but then I also read that there are some groups to help newcomers. Cool! 
    And something that really attracted my attention was finding out that there is a hybrid mashup of second life and moodle, which is called Soodle.  This soodle platform  “provides a range of tools for supporting learning and teaching to the immersive virtual world”. (The Instructional Technologist’s blog, 2009).
     The benefits of this second life word for educators and students  are wide a lot. Collaborative projects can be started and developed, simulations impossible to be  made  due to factors such as budget matters in educational institutions can be feasible, field trips to  far away places: Can you imagine visiting second life NASA? Superb!    
     Well! I will continue to try on second life. Who knows if in the future I become, as they say,  one of those avatar teachers who own buildings and condos, married  to a gorgeous  avatar girl and living in second life Antartida,

                                                            A picture of my first Avatar
.

References: See reference page

No comments:

Post a Comment